We are delighted to share with you the news that Dr. Oxana Korj has joined this practice in August 2016. Dr. Korj has an impressive life history and she has already had a varied and rich clinical experience.
Born and raised in the city of Omsk, Russia, Dr. Korj has moved to Vancouver, Canada in 2003 to pursue her career in Dentistry. In 2011, she has graduated from the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, with a degree of Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD). Upon graduation, Dr. Korj was awarded the prestigious College of Dental Surgeons of British Columbia Gold Medal for the most outstanding academic record in the graduating class. While in dental school, she has held positions of a Class President and a President of the Dental Undergraduate Society. Additional university and community activities included mentorship of fellow DMD students and participation in the student-run volunteer community dental clinics and outreach programs both locally in the province and abroad, including such locations as Haida Gwaii and Cambodia. Additionally, Dr. Korj served as a student representative with the British Columbia Dental Association.
Following graduation, Dr. Korj enjoyed a year of general dental practice in Yorkton, Saskatchewan. In 2012, she has moved to Washington, District of Columbia, to pursue her goal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery career. Dr. Korj successfully completed a four-year residency at the Washington Hospital Center (WHC), Washington, DC. Other hospital affiliations included Children’s National Medical Center, National Institute of Health and DC Veterans Association in Washington, DC, and Greater Baltimore Medical Center and John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, MD.
During the four years of residency, Dr Korj gained experience with a broad scope of services including care and provision of anesthesia for medically complex patients and pediatric patients, dentoalveolar surgery, management of head and neck infections, temporomandibular joint disorders, various complexity of maxillofacial trauma, pathology and reconstruction, orthognathic surgery, craniofacial and cleft lip and palate surgery, implant surgery and tissue engineering.
Tissue engineering, Implant surgery, Orthognathic surgery and Craniofacial/cleft lip and palate surgery remain to be the fields of most interest of Dr Korj.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Program at the Washington Hospital Center is known for its strength in the field of implant dentistry and tissue engineering. Dr Korj enjoyed caring for multiple patients with complex tissue and dental reconstructive needs at the hospital-based practice and was also an active participant and assistant with the hands-on portions of the course curriculum for the American Institute of Implant Dentistry, Washington, DC.
At Washington Hospital Center, Dr. Korj worked closely with the Department of Orthodontics and gained invaluable experience with identifying and caring for patients with surgical needs, including cleft lip and palate population.
Dr. Korj enjoys caring for children and has participated in the craniofacial clinics at the John Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD, and Children’s National Medical Center, Washington, DC. She also was a proud member of Medical Mission of Mercy USA (MMOMUSA) and participated in the 2016 volunteer mission to the Philippines as a member of the Cleft Lip and Palate surgical team.
Additionally during her residency, Dr Korj continued to be an active member of the professional community and served as a WHC Program Liaison for the Resident Organization of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.
Upon completion of her training, Dr. Korj relocated back to Vancouver, BC. She is now fully certified to practise oral surgery in the province of British Columbia, and she is looking forward to participating fully in the local community. She has so much to offer and is fully committed to the profession. Dr. Korj is already giving back to her alma mater as a clinical instructor at UBC Faculty of Dentistry. Dr. Korj also loves and appreciates the beautiful nature of British Columbia and enjoys an active outdoor lifestyle.
Education & Degrees:
- Langara College, Vancouver, BC – Associate Degree of Science
- University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC – Doctorate of Dental Medicine
- Medstar Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC – Certificate of Specialization in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Board Certification & Licensure:
- Certified Specialist in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Fellow of the Royal College of Dentists of Canada
- Clinical Assistant Professor, UBC Faculty of Dentistry
- The College of Dental Surgeons of British Columbia Gold Medal
- The British Columbia Dental Association Award
- American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology Achievement Award
- Canadian Dental Association Student Leadership Award
- HSBC Emerging Leader Scholarship
- Wesbrook Scholar designation, UBC
- International College of Dentists Award
- Western Canada Dental Society: Dr. Cal Waddell Memorial Scholarship
- TD Canada Trust Service Award
2008, 2009 and 2010
- College of Dental Surgeons of BC Scholarship
- Marcia A. Boyd Award in Dentistry
- Fellow of the Royal College of Dentists of Canada
- Canadian Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- British Columbia Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Affiliate Member of American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- College of Dental Surgeons of British Columbia
- Canadian Dental Association
- British Columbia Dental Association